Sunday, April 02, 2006

Nintendo fingers

What does one do on a cloudy weekend afternoon in the New York capital region? You go to Mallbany, of course. Many know this town as Albany, but considering there is little else to do there and no other need for us to visit than for a mall, it has been dubbed Mallbany.

Well, this recent trip to Mallbany was unique, as I discovered the funnest video game ever known to man, although I am not sure that statement comes with much weight from a person who is not all that into videogames. The game is Guitar Hero, and we got sucked into it at Best Buy, where they had set up the game and the two guitar-shaped controllers.

It's like Dance Dance Revolution, I guess, but perhaps easier and less physically demanding - although one should beware of Nintendo fingers, the ache and tightening in your fingers after prolonged video game playing. I am embarrassed to say, I walked away from the massive flat screen TV and mini guitar with said cramps.

The game was worth it. As a green mohawked British rocker, I wailed on the wawa bar and waved the guitar in the air to "Appetite for Destruction" and "I Want to Be Sedated." The more I rocked out, shaking the guitar and breaking a considerable sweat, the more points I got, and I do believe I was rewarded for also singing along and karate kicking the air. All too quickly, we forgot we were standing in the isle at Best Buy while pre-teen boys watched our rocker personas take over.

The game was so good, we went back a second day. Quit judging.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know people who have become shut-ins because of that game. we're thinking about buying one for our office.

Anonymous said...

The natives call it Smallbany. They spend all their time dissing it, wishing they were stars in big, bad, NYC. But then they finally move down there, they last literally about three weeks...and come running back to reclaim their status as big fish in a small pond. And Crossgates Mall. Where consequently, you can stand there and watch kids in really baggy pants kick ass at Dance Dance Revolution by the movie theaters.

Sara said...

Ahhh Crossgates...
What? What's that? Oh I think I can hear the game calling me back. Really, Jed, since you're in the area, I think you should go play a round or two.

Anonymous said...

I played the dance video game at Atlantic City. I just about broke my spine.
practice practice practice.