Monday, April 25, 2005

oh yeah, work....

I realize I am here working at the Prague Post and have written precious little about what I am doing and what it’s like to report half way across the world.

The first barrier I had to work out was whether or not to assume my sources spoke English. When I call someone on the phone, do I just ask to speak with the person or first ask if they speak English. Luckily, I had guidance from the other reporters on who spoke English and who didn’t and when we aren’t sure, have one of the researchers call and find out who we should talk to.

My first few stories were for the business section, guaranteeing that most of my sources would speak pretty good English. It was for my story on the HR Giger exhibit (think the movie Alien circa 1980) that I was in for a real international reporting treat. I went to cover the press conference - which was in Czech, or German translated into Czech. I managed to get there early and scope out the folks I needed to talk to after the press event (including Giger himself which I understand is kind of a coup). I sit down for the press conference, knowing full well it will be Czech, but thinking maybe some will be translated to English or it won't be too long. An hour later, my mind is racing and I feel like I might scream. I understood nothing, and in fact I felt like all the good anecdotes and inside jokes and basic information for my story were right in front of me, and every one else could understand them but me. It was right up there with the most frustrating reporting experiences I have ever had.

But I walked out of there with a few good interviews, a glimpse of this wackjob's art work, and enough to write a story. But I knew I had missed something - I probably missed the bulk of the story, or perhaps a new angle. And talking about it with my editor, I understand this is how it is working for an English language paper here. You do what you can, and I did.

Also for another story I went around and talked to people on the street for reaction (massive disgusting eyesore of a mall being built downtown), and brought a translator with me. While it was a neat experience with a translator, I again felt like I was missing something.

My other stories haven't been event based and have been kind of fun to report. I just finished one about the Manchester UK government drawing up a list of recommendations for how Brits coming to Prague should act. Apparently, with flights so cheap to Prague and beer so cheap when you get here, guys come over here for stag parties and get drunk and rowdy in the streets. It has become a real problem, but from talking to some drunken British louts, a list from their government isn't going to make much difference.

So that is reporting in Prague, so far. I am going a good mix of stories - at my insistence, resisting filling the whole left by the real estate reporter.

No comments: