Saturday, April 23, 2005

Prague prostitutes

Last night, I saw my first group of prostitutes in Prague. Now, I understand this city boasts a wealth of debauchery, including prostitutes and cabarets and cheap beer and latenight clubs, which draws stag parties and tourists from all around Europe. But I had not had the privilege to see it first hand.

Kate and I were walking home last night along Wenceslas Square, a very touristy drag that I take to and from work each day. We spotted a group of about half a dozen very young women. I noted to Kate how scantily clad they were, thinking not much of it, until I saw one girl, donning a shockingly short skirt and fishnet hose, approach a group of tourist men as they were walking by. Then I realized they were clearly prostitutes. Sometimes my naivete shocks me.

We also passed a young woman out cold, I'm assuming from too much drinking, and her friends were trying to pull her up to no avail.

This is a very different city at night, and I am beginning to see hints of what I am told gives Prague something of a reputation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prostitutes! Now we're talking!!!
Miss you very much.

Ciao,
Mo