Monday, May 23, 2005

four hour train ride for a flea market

... but it was the best flea market ever

A friend of mine from work, Fiona, and I went to Vienna this weekend. I expect it to be my last big trip out of Prague before I pack up and go home, and I had heard good things about Vienna (it's no Berlin, I hear, but worth the trip...)

And indeed it was worth the trip - only about a four hour train ride to get there Friday after work. Fiona and I share a love and a patience for flea markets, and we heard Vienna had a great one, so before any Parliament house, museum or city park, we set out for the flea market. We hit the bankomat and dove in Naschmarkt at about 10:30 Saturday morning and emerged a few hours and a doner-kabab-stomach-ache later sun burned to a crisp and pleased with our few finds, which oddly enough all followed the theme of telling time. I bought a small red clock that said "made in Czechoslovakia" on the face and surprisingly works (alarm and all, 3 euro), kicking off something of a desire to collect small retro clocks. Fiona also bought a retro clock, lime green, and an absolutely stunning antique Dolce and Gabana wrist watch that she seriously fell in love with and admired about every 20 mninutes for the rest of the trip.

The market stretched for blocks and after the garage sale/thrift store goods tables, there were endless rows of fresh fruit and vegetables, exotic spices, fish, ready made foods like hummus, stuffed tomatoes and falafel. That part of the market made me wish I lived in Vienna and went there each Saturday for groceries, wine, cheese and fresh foods. Delicious.

Vienna was neat. I didn't love love love it, as unlike Berlin, the city sleeps and it was hard to find much to do after the flea market and walking around the city center. But it was certainly a nice trip with nice company and unbelievable (finally) spring weather.

No comments: