Monday, December 12, 2005

a question

This crucial question, which I have pondered from time to time, was best articulated by my friend CK. (I have to quote her here, because the way she said it was really funny):

"Do awkward people know they are awkward, a la do white trash people know they are white trash?"

I am not quite as concerned about the white trash debate (and I apologize if anyone is offended by this term, it's all in good fun), but am more wondering about awkward people. (The definition of awkward is loose here - just those people who make certain situations uncomfortable for people like me, who admittedly talk incessantly to avoid weird silences.)

As a follow up, are awkward people only awkward to people like myself? Similarly, after an awkward situation, do awkward people say, "Man, that was so awkward." Or do they say, "Hmm, that was totally normal, although she kind of talks a lot."

I just thought I'd throw that out there. Please feel free to debate.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think an important focus of this debate is figuring out how awkward people feel about *non*awkward people, i.e., you, who have no problem filling empty silence with, well, words. Do awkwards freak out and wish you (and ok, me) would shut up? Or are they grateful for the noise?

I'd like to think they're happy for our company, and not overwhelmed. But ya know, I really don't know if they're aware they're Awkward McAwkwardson. I did pose the question, after all.

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I've visited, (Hi!) but, I'll give my take. I think that it isn't about awkward people, but about awkward situations and awkward conversations.

Basically the talkers and those you call awkward don't mix, resulting in, well, awkwardness. The talkers, and confident folks, brush it off as "hey that dude's awkward." and the others label the situation, not the person.

I hope Chicago is treating you well, and you aren't running into too many awkward people. I, on the other hand, understand many of your Alabama stories much better these days.

Sara said...

Ahhh... good point Jonesie, and thanks for visiting. I can see how it's about the mix. The two kinds just make for an awkward situation... and I can see how the non-awkwards lable others as awkward. Interesting... duely noted.

p.s. yay that you are in Alabama! I hope you are loving it (or that it's growing on you)

Anonymous said...

Yall sher are awekward!

Anonymous said...

I think a corollary is - do bad kissers think that it is the other person who is the bad kisser?

By the way Sara - I love your blog and read it all the time.
-Adam

Anonymous said...

All good points.

According to the hypothetical thrown out in that last corollary...the last girl I kissed must have thought I was awful, and wondered why I wasn't doing more to clean the roof and exterior sides of her mouth. Good times. And by good I mean awkward times.

Sara said...

Ah, good question on the kissing, too (and thanks for liking the blog!). My guess is bad kissers are good to some... back to the idea that there is someone for everyone. (Dickie, I bet someone out there thinks mouth-scrubber is the best kisser ever)

That would support the notion that it's about the situation rather than the person.... a debate that I am sure will persist.