Monday, December 12, 2005

Yankee Swap, Jr.

Perhaps a bit inspired by my Thanksgiving post, a friend of mine threw a Yankee Swap party this weekend, which I must say went swimmingly, especially since the rules were a little different that I'm used to.

Rather than allowing each person to open a gift and then survey the previously opened gifts before deciding to keep it or swap, the person had to make that dire decision before unwrapping a gift. So if you saw something you think you wanted, you had just blindly risk it all and yank it from your friend's fingers.

As Yankee Swaps go, I got screwed. I drew No. 2, and basically had little power to determine my gift receiving destiny. I tossed out conventional wisdom - and my own campaign to not acquire more things that take up space in my tiny apartment - and went for the biggest box. Inside were two beanie babies - one Pillsbury Doughboy and one bear with a "November" patch on his chest - and an artsy calendar I still haven't figured out how to work.

Other gifts included a Christmas CD from the New Kids on the Block (surely a classic), a starter log and a bag of chestnuts (complete with a soundtrack cued as she opened the package), a re-gifted wedding photo album (sans pictures from the discarding couple), and dominos (from me, which I'd argue was one of the best gifts, supported by the fact that the recipient drew No. 1 and didn't trade it).

Sure, I grumbled a bit about my beanie babies, but they certainly grow on you. I took them to a bar later in the night, and they were a hit. (My friends and I kept introducing them to people, as if they were our friends, and I actually overheard one guy say to his friends, "Those girls are crazy.") See photo.



In line with this holiday-themed post, allow me to give a shout out for the Jews - and really any other religion besides Christianity. See, it's this time of year that all the non-Gentiles are forgotten. Christmas music serenades shoppers, trees light up public plazas, and the incessant jingling of the Salvation Army is peppered with "Merry Christmas"s. It's true - the majority of Americans celebrate the holiday, but let's not forget those who aren't quite as pumped about the birth of Christ.

I say with the caveat that my mom was Catholic, my dad Jewish, so we did both. In April, we had a Seder one night, and hunted for our Easter baskets another. In December, we lit the Hanukkah lights days before running downstairs to see what Santa left us. Sounds confusing, but I think I turned out alright....

Anyway, I just think we should all be more mindful of our non-Christian brethren as we anxiously await - and shop, cook and travel for - that special anniversary of Jesus' nativity. (Easy way to modify behavior: Try a "Happy Holidays" rather than the more traditional "Merry Christmas".)

I'd also like to request that we all try to temper the runaway consumerism that accompanies this season. I become nauseated hearing the TV personalities count down shopping days before the Big Day. There must be four Today's Show segments each morning dedicated to hot new tech toys this, what to get a hard-to-shop-for man that. Maybe because I don't have a steady job, and money's tight, or maybe 'cause I don't really dig on the JC, but I don't just like the idea of breaking the bank in the name of Jesus. Instead, all my friends are getting mixed CDs (yay! Surprise! Merry Christmas!) and I am hoping to focus the day on being home and eating and drinking with friends and family. That I can do for our man Christ.

Editor's note: I think I do this every year - rage against the consumerism of the holidays, always to no avail. One woman's rant does little to change the tide of American commodities-driven sentiment, but it still needs to be said.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Sara.

C. Max Magee said...

It's a good thing we didn't take the beanie babies when you offered them to us at the bowling alley. Also, who knew that K.M. would be such an expert bowler?

Kirsten Miller said...

Her parents did, that's who.

When they'd roll thunder in their hey-days in a league and drop k.m. off at the bowling alley's day care to drink orange pop and eat animal cookies, they thought, "One day our very own (and very non-white trash) daughter will bowl a 141 and kick her friends' asses on the eve of her 26th birthday. Hot damn."

Sara said...

You know, KM only informed me of her bowling alley day care days AFTER she won the game. If you ask me, she should have started with a point disadvantage.

Anonymous said...

The X-mas (and/or Hanukkah) mix-CD is idea brilliant. I think we're quickly heading in the direction of "I-pod playlists" ... but the mix-tape philosophy stays the same.

And christ already! (Or, "yawheh already!") Let's call this what it is: a White Elephant party! Enough with the "Yankee Swap"! Clearly, I am greatly upset by this!

Sara said...

This just in: I found in a poll conducted a few years ago that more than 80 percent of Americans are Christian. And Jews are a mere 1.5 percent of the 4 non-Christian religions.

OK, you win. Merry Christmas.

But do check out this hysterical clip... make sure you watch it with the sound.

http://www.rocketboom.com/video/extra/unknown/house_
lightsx.mov