Monday, November 28, 2005

I don't really have anything good to report...

... but I figured I'd write since it's been a few days.

The food coma of Thanksgiving has worn off, but I still have the general sluggishness of vacation. (I can hear you nay-sayers snickering, "aren't you on permanent vacation?" and "Oh yea, you needed a break from doing nothing all day." Well, I won't defend myself here with the "hey I work plenty" or "freelancing is hard!" So there.)

But the holiday was nice. I managed to eat my weight in turkey and apple pie, read two books cover to cover, get minimal exercise in the form of a walk by the ocean, play dominoes until my fingers calloused, stay indoors for an entire day - until about 10 p.m. when we drove to town to go to a bar. Good times, as always.

We also participated in what is known as the Yankee Swap, which I am sure my Southern readers - or really maybe all readers outside of the Northeast, or New Hampshire, or this one particular family who may have made it up for all I know - will not have heard of before. (And I find it funny that a bunch of Yankees are playing it, and it's still called Yankee Swap.) See, each person brings a gift - usually something they dug out of the closet, say, an old kite, already-read books, an old breadmaker; or sometimes strange and funny things, like a commando set complete with face paint, goggles and a camo hat, or a pencil box full of rocks, one labeled 'Spac Station.' (no kidding, that was an offering this year, typo and all). Each gift is wrapped - often in deceiving packaging - and placed in a pile.

Then each person draws a number from a hat, and starting from No. 1, each person picks a present and opens it. You can choose to keep it, or trade it for any gift opened before yours, and No. 1 gets the last pick after all are opened. So, perhaps you could say it's lucky to draw No. 1, and unlucky if you're No. 23... if you were even to use the concept of luck here.

Well, folks don't usually walk away with anything of value to their lives or others. Sometimes, you can snag something kitchy (like the leather crocodile doctor's bag I walked away with one year), something amusing (Mr. Potato Head was a hit this year) or something you can re-gift to someone outside of the family or rewrap for next year's swap (like the picnic backpack chock full of glasses, dishware and napkins, or the Assam - assman, to us - Teapot that will no doubt make some woman pleased this Christmas).

Let's see... This year, I wrapped a stack of books, some I had read and enjoyed, and one I didn't read and heard was crappy. And, after selecting No. 11 and losing the teapot in a trade, I walked away with a hardcover book called The Bird Watching Life Journal. Riiiight... I managed to leave it behind, as many family members sneakily do . (Picture, the host making sure each guest has left with his or her respective Yankee Swap gift, often wrestling it into reluctant hands or hiding it among washed out dishware or packed up leftovers.)

So goes the Yankee Swap. It's rowdy and fun, and once you understand the point, you won't get disappointed that you didn't walk away with something you'll use or that the three and a half minutes you had with that breadmaker, tea pot or Mr. Potato Head is really all that you were meant to have. That's how they do it in the Northeast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, since nobody else has the balls to ask I will.

This is the same thing as a "white elephant" party, right? (Isn't that what they call those? It's been a while.)

Oh, and to submit this I had to type the word "faxpy."

Anonymous said...

Same thing slick.

Anonymous said...

And... how DID you get away without your wonderful gifts?????? The piliated woodpecker COULD have been your first logged siting.

Sara said...

I know... how could I have forgotten to take the life journal with me? I can't begin to tell you how many times I went to log a bird siting and cursed myself for not having the book! :)