Wednesday, January 25, 2006

drama en copan

So I sit down to breakfast this morning - which surprisingly was not Corn Flakes, but not surprisingly involved frijoles and huevos - and had an interesting conversation with mi madre. Again, it was all in Spanish, so there is a small caveat that I misunderstood. But I gotta tell you, no matter how you say it, it wasn´t cool.

She starts by asking if we are staying in a hotel when we travel, and when I tell her yes, she goes on this rant about how expensive everything is and how the food in Copan is so expensive because its all from San Pedro Sula. OK, fine. Then she sits down and proceeds to tell me about how after me, she doesnt want to host any more students because its just too expensive. She said she tells them she doesnt want anymore students, but then they call her and she agrees. I ask her if the money we pay each week is not sufficient, and she said it wasnt and that she doesnt want to do it anymore.

So I asked her if she would like me to find another family to live with. She said no no no, of course not, but I am beginning to think this is not a good match. It was all fine and good at first, but now her son Juancho wont look at me and rarely eats meals with us now - what a baby - and Yolanda has complained ever day how expensive everything is, especially the vegetables I want to eat (even after I assure her I dont need to eat a small mountain of broccoli at every lunch). Ugh, drama.

The good news is I am close to finishing the intermediate book and embarking on advanced. Little by little, friends.

Tonight the small city of Copan is being turned upside down for a giant fiesta in the name of the new mayor. I think he is being inaugurated here this afternoon, and then a big old celebration ensues. The streets are packed already with locals and tourists, and they started setting up for this shin-dig last night. Vamos a ver....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look, why can't you just play along with my mother's guilt trip like a good host-student? Are you gonna eat that cheese?