Tuesday, January 17, 2006

heuvos y frijoles, frijoles y huevos...

Today I learned the past tense. Finally.

I had been asking my teacher if we could learn that, and she kept saying we needed other lessons first, but without past tense (which, yes, I took many years ago and just don´t remember), I am pretty useless when talking to mi familia. They always ask me what we did, where we went... and really I was not following.

Until now. I think I turned a corner in my Spanish speaking. More and more, I am picking up vocab words and trying phrases. I am pretty much speaking Spanish to my teachers, family and locals we meet and sometimes with mi amigas. But, it was refreshing to have a day in class where it seemed to click.

What is also refreshing is a hot shower at my friends house, which by the way is a coke den without a doubt. The men there are all strung out and my friend swears she saw a man dressed in a full motorcross uniform and another man with a massive wad of American dollars. Definitely a coke house, and we do hear coke is popular in these parts.

We also spent the day at the pool, working on our tarea (homework) and getting some sun. What a life.

Things are not refreshing include the current state of my stomach. Not happy. Me duele mi estomago. I am surprised I got this far without problems, and I am a little worried about the traditional Honduran meal mi madre is planning for tonight.

Which brings me to the meals. Para desayuno (for breakfast), huevos y frijoles (eggs and beans, actually a nice break from the corn flakes and warm milk) and then para cenar (for dinner), lo mismo ... huevos y frijoles, frijoles y huevos. A massive lunch at noon and eggs and beans to start and finish the day. Not bad now, but I give myself about four more days until I never want to see frijoles again... its already that way with corn flakes.

Yesterday we went hiking in the mountains, stoppìng to talk to some locals along the way. As you leave Copan, the people become visibly smaller (12 year olds look 6 at best), and the state of poverty is glaring. Most people live in small huts, some without electricity or running water. At one house, there was a young man who was 17, but looked maybe 12 or 13, and had three children, one of which was I think 5. But they are so nice, and seem to enjoy talking with us.

Tomorrow, there is are rumors of horseback riding. (p.s. I couldn´t find spell check again... lo siento)

4 comments:

Sara said...

Oh and one more thing in the not freshing category is the speed and availability of the Internet here. It´s quite frustrating that in one computer lab, half of the computers don´t work, and the other lab, all the computers are always being used. Its kind of tough to feel so out of touch, but I guess thats life in Honduras.

Anonymous said...

are you saying you have eggs and beans for breakfast and dinner? Where are the veggies....no wonder your stomach is feeling the heat! Buenos dios, mi amiga (and that is from someone who knows no spanish)

Anonymous said...

Girl, my only advice in my current, wine-drinking state: ice that ass after riding that horse.

Ahhh....Brokeback.

A-hahaha. Miss you like *crazy*.

(yes, I just used two astericks. Go 'head. Sue me.)

Sara said...

yep. That's right... eggs and beans for breakfast and dinner. In fact, I just finished a huevo con frijoles.

And I just rode a horse. Amazing. More later....