Friday, September 09, 2005

a woman of leisure

Without a job or any substantial plans for the near future, I am certainly living the life of leisure. This morning I woke up, read for a couple hours, had some cereal, went to a spinning class.... I am contemplating a nap.

So, I have given myself until Monday to make a plan. Without a deadline, I fear that I will become all too comfortable with this lifestyle. And for those who know me, making decisions is not my forte.

Here are the potential plans on the table, in no particular order: (For those that actually read my blog, I welcome votes, amendments and suggestions.)

1. The Responsible Plan -- Come Monday morning, I will hit the pavement in search of a steady newspaper job anywhere in the country, complete with health insurance and 401 K. I would then get said job and move, hopefully soon.

2. The Life Experiences Plan (a.k.a. the Delayed Responsibility Plan) -- Here I would stay in lovely Chicago for a couple months, freelance writing as much as possible and generally having fun. Then in, say, November, I would jet-set off to Costa Rica for a Spanish immersion program for a month. RP would likely follow, as a job is inevitable, and this plan is also contingent on my finances and how much freelancing will keep me afloat. I would also have to suck it up and get health insurance.

3. The Life Experiences Plan II -- This is a version of the previous plan, but the delay would be longer, and the Central American excursion would be in January so I could accompany a friend there. This would mean more freelancing, and then eventually revisiting RP. Also to take into account is the fact that when I return, though I will be freshly fluent in Spanish, student loans will be knocking on my door.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote LEP II followed by RP. I'd suggest more, but the invisible woodpecker will not stop banging on my head, sorry. Does anyone have Motrin?

Sara said...

My father actually supported LEP I or II, which was a surprise. He said something about linear and non-linear - and what I think he was trying to say was his generation did things by the book, following a straight plan (which I always felt he wanted my brother and I to do), and my generation has many more choices and the opportunities to take a less traditional route.